Skip to content
Home ยป Relative Of Clapham Chemical Attack Suspect Says They Will ‘bring Him’ To Police If They Have To

Relative Of Clapham Chemical Attack Suspect Says They Will ‘bring Him’ To Police If They Have To

  • by

A close relative of a man accused of a chemical attack in south London has told Sky News they would hand the suspect into police themselves if they have to.

Abdul Ezedi, 35, has been urged by police to hand himself in after going on the run following the attack involving a corrosive alkaline substance in Clapham.

It’s now known twelve people were injured, including a mother, 31, and her two daughters, aged three and eight. All three remain in hospital, with the mother’s injuries thought to be “life-changing”.

CCTV images released by police on Friday showed Ezedi, with what appeared to be extensive injuries to the right side of his face.

A close relative to the suspect has told Sky News that they are “worried about” him and wants to “find out if he is alive or dead”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player


How did Clapham chemical attack unfold? “His injury is very bad and he needs medical attention,” they said.

The relative said they are planning to travel from London to Newcastle, where Ezedi is understood to live, to try to find him.

“I will bring him in by myself if I have to,” they added.

Ezedi arrived in the UK on a lorry in 2016 after fleeing Afghanistan. After two failed attempts, his asylum claim to stay in the UK was granted in 2020.

Read more:

Footage emerges of chemical attack

Attack was ‘appalling’ – home secretary

Timeline of suspect’s movements

‘We need the full picture’

Growing up in Afghanistan, the relative described Ezedi as “a quiet, good person”, “who cares about everyone”.

The relative believes the allegations made against him seem out of character.

“We need to know the full picture, what really happened,” they said.

Ezedi was handed a suspended sentence for a sexual offence in Newcastle in 2018 and was discharged from probation supervision two years later.

When asked about this offence, the relative said: “This isn’t the man I know, I don’t believe he would do that kind of thing.”