A Premier League footballer arrested on suspicion of child sex offences will face no further action, police have said.
The 33-year-old was suspended from his club after being detained in June 2021 and bailed pending further enquiries.
The unnamed player was under investigation for two years but on Friday, Greater Manchester Police announced he would face no further action.
The force said a decision had been reached that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
“The 33-year-old man who was arrested in connection with an investigation opened in June 2021 will face no further action,” a statement said.
“The investigation team and Crown Prosecution Service have been working together and reached the decision that the evidence available at this time does not reach the threshold set out on the Code for Crown Prosecutors.
“Greater Manchester Police is committed to investigating allegations to secure the best possible outcomes for all involved and will continue to work with partner agencies to ensure individuals are supported throughout investigations and beyond.”
The player has since left the club he was with at the time of his arrest.